According to the WORLD COUNCIL OF OPTOMETRY "Optometry is a health care profession that is autonomous, educated and regulated (licensed / registered), and optometrists are the primary healthcare practitioners of the eye and visual system who provide comprehensive eye and vision care, which includes refraction and dispensing, detection/diagnosis and management of ocular problems, and the rehabilitation of conditions of the visual system."
The growing need of eye care and specialisation required can only be met by quality education that covers complete optometry courses. In Kerala, the Trinity College of Ophthalmic Studies offers not just varied courses in Optometry in Kerala but also Phaco Fellowship Programme in India.
This eminent Institution offering optometry courses in Kerala is committed to impart education of the highest standards in the stream of Ophthalmic medicine and surgery and to equip the students to promote effective eye care.
India is witnessing a growing demand for trained allied health professionals with Government and private medical institutions. This is therefore an emerging sector for Employment, with attractive remuneration & incentivised packages. In order to bridge the gap and meet the requirement for competent paramedical graduates with the relevant training & experience to take on the challenging world of health care, Dr.Mridula Sunil laid the foundation of Trinity College of Ophthalmic studies in 2011, to educate and clinically train students in the science of Ophthalmology. Today, the Trinity College of Ophthalmic Studies offers optometry courses in Kerala and the Phaco Fellowship Programme in India.
The Trinity College of Ophthalmic Studies caters to the community at large, irrespective of the caste, creed and affordability. Health care has seen tremendous advancements in this era of globalisation. In light of the same, the demand for professionally trained personnel in the field of allied health sciences has blurred geographical boundaries with stakeholders looking towards India for qualified specialists.
Under Trinity College of Ophthalmic Studies – we have developed paramedical courses that combine paramedical education with a basic knowledge and training in it. This optometry course in Kerala aims to develop competence and provide students with facilities to perform their vocations immediately after their graduation.
Various courses available at TCOS are as follows:
- DIPLOMA IN OPTOMETRY(2 Years)
- DIPLOMA IN OPHTHALMIC NURSING ASSISTANCE(2 Years)
- DIPLOMA IN OPTICAL FITTING AND SURFACING(1 Year)
Career Options after Optometry
- Independent Practice as an Optometrist
- Start own specialty clinic like contact lenses, Computer Vision Orthoptics
- Start an optical establishment / store for scientific dispensing of visual aids.
- Start manufacturing unit to make ophthalmic lenses / spectacle lenses
- Job opportunities with multinational eye care companies like Bausch & Lomb, Essilor , Zeiss, Ciba Vision, AMO etc.
- Avail overseas job opportunities.
- For those interested in higher studies, post graduation in the form of fellowships as well as Masters & PhD programs are available in India & Overseas.
- Take up teaching as a career option
- Take jobs with corporate & private hospitals, NGO’s
- Administrative Career after MBA in Ophthalmic Practice
Career Option after Ophthalmic nursing assistant
After completing this optometry course in Kerala, an Ophthalmic nursing assistant is privy to job opportunities on account of their specalized skills. Positions are usually located in hospitals, clinics, university research facilities, private practices etc.
Ophthalmic assistants also have many opportunities for career advancement. Most of today's ophthalmic assistants began as entry-level personnel and worked their way up to management positions through continuing education, training, and certification.
Career option after Optical Fitting and surfacing
The goal of this optometry course is to help the students with the confidence and qualifications to begin your career as a dispensing optician.